a little more info on my ratings & shelving systems
average goodreads rating: 2.95 stars
disclaimer: I am very, very honest in my reviews. The vast majority of the time I have something negative to say about a book and I am always going to come right out and say it. If you think that honest negative reviews are “mean,” stick to my rare 5 star ones.
popularity of opinion: because I’m really critical, my opinions sometimes differ from the YA or general mainstream. (Sometimes I’ll like books people tend not to, too.) Opinions like that will be tagged here, on the off chance I remember that tag exists.
brief review policy: I’m on the mailing list for several publishers (this is a humblebrag), so I am overwhelmed with ARCs already. If you are an author and you want me to read your book, you can email me here, but as a warning it is very unlikely I’m going to feel able to pick up your book (since I read books other than ARCs too!). I do not read many ebooks, so print is the way to go if it’s possible for you. Also, if you’re sending me a one-size-fits-all email about your book, which is not in a genre I read, it’s not likely you’ll get a response from me. Genres I’m most consistently willing to read: young adult, classics, the occasional romance or magical realism. Almost never interested in sci-fi, nonfiction (besides the occasional memoir), super-literary fiction, or very long serious high fantasy.
my stars system
- 1 star: hated it
- 2 stars: disliked it/did not enjoy reading
- 3 stars: neutral/liked it slightly/occasionally enjoyed
- 4 stars: really enjoyed/liked but did not fall in love and/or had small problems with it
- 5 stars: adored it/fell in love with it
my shelving system
- nope: 1-2 stars – strongly disliked the experience of reading it; cannot in good faith recommend
- eh: 2-3 stars – felt bored or neutral; others may like it but i wouldn’t want to reread
- recommend: 4-5 stars – fell somewhere between enjoying and loving it; want others to share the experience
- favorite: very rare; this beautiful gift to humanity has landed in the glorious utopia of my all time favorites list